At Approx. 7:00 pm Saturday, firefighters were called to 4324 SE Madison to extinguish another fire caused by improperly discarded Barbecue ash. Firefighters arrived to find fire extending up the wall of a duplex to the roof. The occupants stated that they'd disposed of the briquette ash in a garbage can that was stored on the side of the house.
All occupants were out by the time firefighters arrived and no one was injured. This fire was made more challenging as it was burning in the attic. Firefighters were forced to tear down the interior ceiling and cut into the roof of the apartments to ensure that the fire was out. Firefighters from Station 9 (1706 SE 39th) were able to quickly extinguish the blaze with the help of other nearby Portland Fire Stations.
Damage estimates will be provided as soon as they are available. Some occupants will be displaced but it is unclear at this point whether they will stay with friends and relatives or if they'll need the assistance of the Red Cross. This is the second fire today caused by improperly discarded barbecue ash. The other fire occurred at Approx. 4:14 am at 2010 NE Lombard.
Portland Fire & Rescue once again asks residents to use a metal container with a tight fitting metal lid to dispose of ash. The container shouldn't contain any other combustibles and should be stored in a area free of combustible items.
This release will be updated with photo's as soon as they are available.
Contact Info: Lt. Damon Simmons, Media Pager (503) 940-6003